My Staff Master Joomla! 1.5 Component Has Finally Launched..

Man, I’m all over the place lately.  Actionscript 3 projects… PHP Development… what’s next?  Crochet you say?  Maybe finally master Bocce ball?

So, I’ve been working on a new project as of late.  In doing a site redesign for an older site of mine, I’ve been using Joomla!Framework to structure and build the new site.  I’ve used a number of different PHP frameworks and CMS’s over the years, notably Joomla, Drupal, CakePHP, CodeIgnitor, and WordPress, and I just really, really love Joomla.  Maybe thats because I’ve spent so much time ‘under the hood’ in development, but to me, this CMS/Framework just makes sense and speeds up my development on new sites.

For this site redesign, the goal is to condense the old site which had roughly 30 different content pages, and a very basic, plain looking front end and give the graphics a shot from the spiceweasel (Bam! Kick it up a notch), while streamlining the back end so the site owner can take a more active role in updating the site himself.

In the old site, there was a Staff page which listed all of the staff members by department, all in such an elaborate nested tables scheme that if you even looked at the html, it would break.  As such, it was very confusing for anyone who was trying to simply add a new staff member or remove one.  Removing a staff member often led to broken tables and busted pages.  No good!

So to streamline, I began working on a Joomla component where the site owner, in the back-end, could easily click “New Department” or “New Staff Member” and pretty, structured forms would appear asking for the information for the front-end.  Then the thought occured, “why not just go ahead and make it an actual, fully releaseable component?”

I have to say, coding my pages where I’m going to be the sole updater/maintainer and coding pages that you’re expecting other people to use, maintain, extend, etc… two completely separate things!  Maybe that’s saying normally I’m a lazy coder?  Or maybe it’s just that if I know people will use something, I want to make it as simple, fast, and easy to understand as possible.  OCD kicked in hard so many times as I lined up line indents and spaced things.  But I think ultimately, just coding this simple component has taught me so much and was a hell of a learning experience.  That’s what I love about web dev and coding… No matter how much you know and how good of a coder you think you are, there is still more, still something else you can do or learn or implement to optimize, streamline and grow.

You can check out a demo on my less awesome, yet more professional site,



7 thoughts on “My Staff Master Joomla! 1.5 Component Has Finally Launched..

  1. Hey there… once the component is installed, simply go to Menus from Joomla’s main menu bar (the one with Site, Menus, Content, Components, …) Menus -> and then whichever menu you want to add a link to staff master from..

  2. Hi
    This component rocks! It’s exactly what I needed and you’ve saved me several days of programming. I thank you for that.

    One thing I noticed is that the Admin control panel layout is completely broken in my Joomla! 1.5 installation. The layout extends far outside and to the right of the joomla admin page area. This is in firefox, IE7, and Google chrome browsers.

    It could be my joomla installation Version 1.5.7 has a problem, but this doesn’t occur in any of my other component admin panels.

    It’s still a great component. I look forward to future releases.

  3. Hey there, thanks for the comment! That’s really strange that you’re having trouble, specifically with those browsers as I’ve tested it on those on my pc… hmm. Are you using the default admin template from joomla?

    I’d really appreciate it if you wrote a review like that at Joomla Extensions.

    Be sure to check out the real site for Staff Master at

  4. Haelix

    I wrote a positive review at Joomla Extensions. It should come up today.

    The css problem relates to having the site in a sub-directory. There are a few forward slashes that cause parts of the component to try to resolve to the host root directory, one directory above the Joomla installation. Easy to fix, but I’m not sure where all of those are located in the php and css files.

    It works very well in a root directory Joomla installation.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.